Dream it, Believe it, Achieve it
REMSS & Yorkson Creek Rivermen Hockey Academy 604-807-8598
Yorkson Creek Middle Hockey Academy
Students attending the Yorkson Creek Middle School will be provided an opportunity to enroll in the Rivermen Hockey Academy. Currently, the Langley School District is experiencing tremendous growth in the Willoughby catchment area and YCMS does not have the capacity to accept out of catchment students. It is hoped that in the near future this pressure is relieved thus providing out of catchment students the opportunity to enroll in at the school and into the Academy.
What is a Hockey Skills Academy?
A hockey skills academy at Yorkson Creek Middle School is a pathway being established at the grade 6, 7 and 8 levels that will enable a student to develop his/her skills at an elite level. Eventually, when that player enters grade 9 they would transfer to REMSS and continue development in this program. Please refer to the REMSS tab for a more thorough description.
Who is providing instruction?
A partnership has been established with the BCHL Langley Rivermen and The BCMML Fraser Valley Thunderbirds. The coaching staff of these programs will be providing the on-ice instruction. Stefano Ruscitti, Mitch Fyffe and Chris Shaw are our Head Instructors.
The Philosophy of the Hockey Skills Adademy
1. The Rivermen Hockey Academy Philosophy
- Leadership skills developed on and off the ice
- To compliment/enhance skill development
- Create an environment exclusive to the individual student development
- Provide opportunities like no other program
- Provide parents with a convenient and cost effective method of maximizing training
- Any male or female attending YCMS is eligible to participate
- The Director will establish and monitor student behavior expectations and an academic standard necessary for eligible participation
- GPA (grade point averages) will be monitored
3. Curriculum Framework
- Curriculum framework will be set out by the Rivermen Coaching Staff
- on-ice framework will focus on skill development/small area resistance training
- focus on individual skills
Students attending YCMS will be able to fit the academy into their schedule. Academy sessions are being planned for 2 sessions per week (Monday and Thursday) and will run from 7:30 - 8:30AM at the LEC. A Sport bus will transport the players back to YCMS so that they miss a very limited amount of class time during their first block. Due to the timetable rotation at YCMS, all classes will disperse the small amount of time missed during first block so that impact is minimal.
Student enrollment costs will be $1350
- Approximately 40 on-ice sessons
- Dryland training gear (T-Shirt)